To discover Kis-Balaton can be a great experience. Kis-Balaton is the little brother of the famous Lake Balaton in Hungary. Actually, it was part of it but it splitted off from the main lake at some point in history. It is a unique environment in Europe as a wetland in Balaton Uplands National Park. It has a wonderful community of birds and the lake itself was already famous in the 19th century.
Kis-Balaton in the Balaton Uplands National Park
The lake is part of a bigger area under protection of 56 997 hectares in the Balaton Uplands National Park. This National Park of Balaton has been shapped out of six landscape protected areas: Kis-Balaton, Keszthely Hills, Tapolca Basin, Káli Basin, Pécsely Basin and Tihany Peninsula.
Kis-Balaton was included in the list of “Wetlands of International Importance as Waterfowl Habitat”. That happened when Hungary joined the Ramsar Convention in 1979. The scientists have identified 250 species of birds so far, besides several other rare animals and plants.
Nowadays, this part of the National Park is an excellent place for leisure. Awesome for families and with nice possibilities for non-exigent trekkers.
What to do in Kis-Balaton
- Kis-Balaton Visitor Center: Small visitor center with brief information about the natural conditions of this Balaton Natural Park. To us it is not worth paying the entrance fee but you decide. You can check further information about schedules and prices by clicking the link of the official website.
- Guided tours in the natural area of Kis-Balaton: You can book a guided tour to get into the wild in the Visitor Centre. For preservation reasons only two daily tours are available. Check the prices and the schedules on the official website.
- Visit Kányavári Island: This is a natural island where you can get walking on a bridge. Since Kányavári Island is in the middle of the lake, you can have great views taking a stroll or enjoy a picnic with the family.
- Birdwatching: Kis-Balaton is a privileged place to admire different types of special birds. Click here for a list of the birds you can spot around Kis-Balaton.
Nearby activities of Kis-Balaton
Here you can check what to do nearby Kis-Balaton taking the advantatge of the amazing natural surroundings.
How to get to Kis-Balaton in Balaton National Park
- Car: You can arrive to Kis-Balaton on a short drive from Keszthely. The journey is 27 kilometers long so should not take more than 40 minutes.
- Bike: It can be a great decision to reach Kis-Balaton from Keszthely by bike. Western Hungary has lovely bike lanes and it is a flat ideal for biking country.
- Walking: If you like nice long trekkings you can get to Kis-Balaton walking. This is a 5 hours long trekking from Keszthely to the lake.
What to visit in Balaton Uplands National Park
- Szigligeti Vár: The Balaton Castle, as many locals and tourists call it, is an impressive medieval fortress with awesome lake views.
- Tihany: Travel to Tihany means to reach at once the most beautiful and historically a very interesting and authentic part of Lake Balaton.
- Keszthely: The main town on the western shore of Lake Balaton and the informal capital of the lake.
- Tapolca: To visit Tapolca is a great idea since it is a cozy, welcoming, cheap and cute town.
- Lake Hévíz: The world’s second-largest thermal lake, but biologically the biggest active natural lake.
- Sümeg: The castle of Sümeg is one of the most interesting fortresses in Hungary.
- Tátika Castle: A hidden medieval castle in the heart of Hungary.
Best experiencies around Balaton Uplands National Park
Here you can check some of the best experiencies on Lake Balaton:
Dear Traveller, hope you liked the latest article from Besides the Obvious! If you would not like to miss any of our travel stories, destination ideas, vacation plans, holiday inspirations, do not forget to subscribe here!